Friday, February 25, 2011

No way - these recipes look too yummy to be healthy

I got my new issue of Eating Well magazine today and I was shocked at the number of recipes I couldn`t wait to try. Wow, how times have changed. Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I tended to associate health food magazines with boring articles and brown rice. And kombu, fermented bean pastes and, of course, tofu. And weird goddess drawings. Now, I look at them and am shocked by the plethora of beautiful pictures and interesting recipes...when did they change? Funny what the fear of death does to one's perception. :-)

After half an hour or so of bookmarking recipes, I thought I should share. The common element is simply this - I would try this recipe even if I wasn't eating like my life depended on it. Now, I will warn you, there are many references to brown rice...but if you want to substitute white rice now and then, I won't tell. (But honestly, if you didn't know it was better for you - and if it didn't take so much longer to cook - wouldn't you choose it over white some of the time?)

I'm going to pour myself a glass of wine and try a couple of these out! I might even make some brown rice.
  1. Balsamic and parmesan roasted cauliflower
  2. Leek, potato and spinach stew (OK this isn't an exciting recipe for everyone, but I have always loved leeks and potatoes together - and this one gets great reviews)
  3. Brothy Chinese noodles
  4. Elise's sesame noodles
  5. Grilled salmon with tomatoes and basil
  6. Shrimp saganaki
  7. Chicken sausage with potatoes and sauerkraut
  8. Thai chicken mango stir-fry
  9. Seared steaks with caramelized onions and gorgonzola 
  10. Oven sweet potato fries or spicier chile-garlic roasted sweet potatoes
  11. Layered mashed potato and mushroom casserole
  12. Swirled cheesecake brownies

3 comments:

  1. Those brothy chinese noodles look fantastic... want to come over and cook for me? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name kills me - but it got me to look at the recipe! That is my idea of heaven. A big bowl of that would go nicely with the Oscars on Sunday night. Oh...but no...I'm not coming over to cook! :-) Not this weekend at least. But happy to do it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyn, This is perfect, I just bought some salmon. And of course the second recipe I went to was the cheesecake brownie one. They look heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete