Friday, January 21, 2011

Cauliflower Couscous under Moroccan Lamb

Yesterday I posted about Chris Kimball's appearance on the Today Show. Today, I'm back to the same show only I'm highlighting two recipes prepared by Ben Ford of  Ford's Filling Station in Culver City, California: Moroccan Lamb with Cauliflower Couscous.

But I would call it Cauliflower Couscous under Moroccan Lamb. Why? I don't actually like lamb. I can honestly say that even though I keep trying to like it I have only enjoyed it twice. There's something about the grassy smell that just puts me off. But for this recipe, I'm willing to give it another shot (or I might make it with chicken thighs). What I am really excited about is the Cauliflower Couscous. I love cauliflower. I love couscous. So it's a no-brainer that I would love the idea of turning cauliflower into couscous as a way to substitute a vegetable for a refined starch in a meal. If this works, I may never go back to conventional couscous as a base for Middle Eastern dishes in my kitchen. Think the kids would go for it?

 

Moroccan lamb

Ben Ford
Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 2 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder or boneless chuck roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon garam masala
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 1/2 cup dry Sherry
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
  • 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
Instructions:
  1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
  2. Add meat to pot; sauté until just slightly pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer meat to bowl.
  3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same pot. Add onions; sauté until brown, about 8 minutes.
  4. Add garlic and spices and stir 1 minute.
  5. Add wine and Sherry; boil until reduced to glaze, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
  6. Add broth, tomatoes with juice, and raisins; stir to blend.
  7. Add lamb and accumulated juices; bring to simmer.
  8. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered until sauce is thick and lamb is tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
  9. Season stew with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead.)
Serves 6

Cauliflower couscous

Ben Ford
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 large yellow onions, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 3 whole cauliflower, shaved (save stalks, they make a good soup)
  • 2 sweet red peppers, roasted and diced
  • 2 Jalapeño peppers, roasted and diced
  • 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
  • 1 tablespoon mint, finely sliced
  • 1 tablespoon basil, finely sliced
  • 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter to finish.
  • Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
Instructions:
  1. Shave the cauliflower florets with a knife. The smaller the better since it will help us avoid having to over work the cauliflower in the processor to get a consistent size that resembles couscous, the grain.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet.
  3. Add the spices and gently heat until the mustard seeds pop.
  4. Add the onion and garlic and let them soften.
  5. Add the cauliflower and diced peppers to the onion.
  6. Cover and allow to steam until tender — 5 minutes or so.
  7. Finish with butter, mint, basil, parsley, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good. I will try it but I don't think I could get the boys to try it. They do like cous cous though.

    ReplyDelete